Birth/Established: April 22, 1870 Death/Dissolved: May 1957
J. Milton Dyer was born in Middletown, Pennsylvania where his father had a hardware business. In 1881, his family moved to Willson (E.55th Street) and Woodland Avenue area, then known as Rock's Corners. He attended Central High School. He went to work for Brown Hoisting where he earned a scholarship to the Case Institute of Technology. He continued to work there during the summer. In 1906, the Architectural Record published an article on his work where he was highlighted as one of a growing number of professionally educated architects settling in smaller American cities. Significant architectural talent came out of his office including Frank Walker, Harry Weeks, and Reynold Hinsdale. He also worked for Warner & Swassey for several years.
He lived on East 71st Street until the last few years of his life. He never married, living with his mother until her death in 1923 and then with his sister until her death in 1954. He then went on to live in a rest home in Cleveland Heights. He was not listed as a registered architect in the November 1940 Ohio Architect listing. He died at the age of eighty-seven and is buried in Woodland Cemetery.
The following are abbreviations used throughout the database
AABN – American Architect and Builders News (1876 – 1909) bp – City of Cleveland Building Permits (1889 – present) cd – City Directories mps – Mary Peale Schofield files – Western Reserve Historical Society Inland – Inland Architect Intestate – Interstate Architect and Builder (1899 – 1902) nd – no date NRHP – National Register of Historic Places OAB – Ohio Architect and Builder (1903 – 1909) OAEB – Ohio Architect, Engineer and Builder (1910 – 1919) ohi – Ohio Historical Inventory form PD – Plain Dealer