Follow us on Twitter Follow Us on Facebook
 
 
  • Architect/Firm:  Joseph Blackburn
  • Buildings
  • Sources

Return to List | Print View | Return to Landmarks Home Page

Name: Joseph M Blackburn

Birth/Established: November 25, 1823   Death/Dissolved: February 25, 1891

 


Biography:  
  Joseph M. Blackburn was born in Cudworth, Yorkshire, England. In England he served a seven year apprenticeship to William and Thomas Topam at Ackworth, Yorkshire. Blackburn worked as an architect at Ackworth for an additional four years. He came to the United States and to Cleveland in 1850. As an architect from 1850 to 1891, he worked in Cleveland throughout the Victorian era designing buildings in the Second Empire, Gothic and Italianate styles of his day. He received many significant commissions during his career including the St. Vincent's Charity Hospital, the Ohio Deaf and Dumb Asylum in Columbus, the Central Ohio Insane Asylum in Columbus, and the remodeling of Presidential candidate James Garfield's Mentor home. He was the architect of private and public buildings in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, and the District of Columbia. During his career he formed many partnerships. From 1861 to 1864 he was a member of the firm of Blackburn and Fuller. About 1865 he moved to 471 Euclid Avenue. From 1866 to 1868 he was a member of the firm of Blackburn and Koehler; from 1879 to 1880 he was a member of the firm of Blackburn and Charlot; and finally he was with the firm of Blackburn and Daniels. When not in partnership he was listed as working alone. J. N. Richardson and Andrew Mitermiler worked in his office before they went into business in their own firms. Most of his buildings were constructed before building permits were required in Cleveland (1888) and remain unidentified. He was a member of the Euclid Avenue Baptist Church. He is buried in Woodland Cemetery. 

 

Return to List | Print View | Return to Landmarks Home Page

Photo Exists Indicates a Photograph is available for that Building
(1024 x 768 monitor resolution required to view photos)
Building Name Date Address Status
1857
318-24 Superior Avenue, N. W.
Cleveland
Demolished
1860
420 Champlain Street
Cleveland
Demolished
1864
9803 Euclid Avenue
Cleveland
Demolished
1865
2460 West 14th Street
Cleveland
Standing
1865
2315 East 22nd Street
Cleveland
Demolished
1866-8
201 Wick Avenue
Youngstown
Demolished
1868
1746 Euclid Avenue
Cleveland
Demolished
1870
201 - 7 West Spring Street
Titusville
Demolished
1871
202-8 Spring Street
Titusville
Standing
1872
1228 - 44 Old River Road
Cleveland
Standing
1874
Prospect Street
Ashtabula
unknown
1878
9135 Broadway
Cleveland
Demolished
1882
Sibley Street
Cleveland
Demolished
1882
2013-9 Ontario
Cleveland
Standing
1883
1646 East 55th Street
Cleveland
Demolished
1883
2340 East 55th Street
Cleveland
Demolished
1883
2230 East 40th Street
Cleveland
Demolished
1883

Cleveland
Demolished
1883
Sibley corner of Cedar
Cleveland
Demolished
1883
1791-1807 East 40th Street
Cleveland
Demolished
1888
1881 East 59th Street
Cleveland
Demolished
1888
1877 East 59th Street
Cleveland
Demolished

Return to List | Print View | Return to Landmarks Home Page

Biographical Encyclopedia of Ohio of the 19th Century

Brenner, William A. Downtown and the University : Youngstown, Ohio March 1976

Cleveland City Directories

Cleveland Necrology file


Click for more Information on Abbreviations.