Follow us on Twitter Follow Us on Facebook
 
 
  • Architect/Firm:  Godfrey Fugman
  • Buildings
  • Sources

Return to List | Print View | Return to Landmarks Home Page

Name: Godfrey Fugman

Birth/Established: September 22, 1858   Death/Dissolved: September 3, 1935

 


Biography:  
  Godfrey Fugman was born in Wurtemberg, Germany. He was educated in Stuttgart and came to the United States in 1881. He is first listed in Cleveland City Directories in 1885. From 1886 to 1893 he was a partner with C. Frank Cramer. The firm would dissolve in 1893 and reform in 1894 lasting until 1897 when Cramer left to serve in the Spanish American War. Cramer and Fugman were mostly known for their commercial buildings. He was a partner with Emile Uhlrich from 1899 to 1903. Fugman & Uhlrich became known for religious buildings both for Roman Catholic and Protestant congregations, including St. Michael's School on Scranton Road, St. Procop's Church on West 41st Street, the Independent Evangelical Protestant Church on West 44th Street, and Ss. Cyril and Methodius in Youngstown. Most notably they designed the Art Noveau J. L. Hudson Store on Euclid Avenue. The firm's buildings had a European influence in their design. The Fugman & Uhlrich partnership ended in 1903. Uhlrich went on to practice individually while Fugman formed a short - lived partnership with Harry Cone in 1905 before he also went on to practice individually. He also became heavily involved in constructing buildings on investment real estate he owned. 

 

Return to List | Print View | Return to Landmarks Home Page

Photo Exists Indicates a Photograph is available for that Building
(1024 x 768 monitor resolution required to view photos)
Building Name Date Address Status
1893
2466 East 55th Street
Cleveland
Demolished
1893
828 Broadway
Cleveland
Demolished
1893
Euclid near Lake View Cem
Cleveland
Demolished
1894
4120 Clark Avenue
Cleveland
Standing
1894
1780 East 55th Street
Cleveland
Demolished
1894
3812 Superior Avenue
Cleveland
Demolished
1895
1738 Columbus Road
Cleveland
Standing
1900
2423 East 61st Street
Cleveland
Standing
1901
Burt Street
Cleveland
Demolished
1913
2125-33 East 9th Street
Cleveland
Demolished

Return to List | Print View | Return to Landmarks Home Page

City Directories 1885-1928

Cleveland City Directories

Cleveland Illustrated 1893


Click for more Information on Abbreviations.