Follow us on Twitter Follow Us on Facebook
 
 
  • Architect/Firm:  William Carter
  • Buildings
  • Sources

Return to List | Print View | Return to Landmarks Home Page

Name: William J Carter

Birth/Established: March 15, 1870   Death/Dissolved: August 4, 1946

 


Biography:  
  William J. Carter was born in Cleveland. He was a descendent of Lorenzo Carter, the first permanent Cleveland settler. He graduated from Case School of Applied Science in 1891. He was a civil engineer with the Pennsylvania Railroad, west of Pittsburgh, from 1891 to 1892. He then worked for F. C. Osborn, the Cleveland Electric Illuminating Company, Brown Hoisting Company, Osborn Engineering, and Cleveland Electric Railway. He was appointed the U.S. Government Quartermaster's Department Superintendant of Construction in Portland, Maine. He returned to Cleveland and was appointed City Engineer (1901-07). He served as the President of the Cleveland Engineering Society from 1920 to 1921. 

 

Return to List | Print View | Return to Landmarks Home Page

Photo Exists Indicates a Photograph is available for that Building
(1024 x 768 monitor resolution required to view photos)
Building Name Date Address Status
1917
8910 Miles Park Avenue
Cleveland
Standing
1917
Addison and L.S. & M.S. Railroad
Cleveland
Demolished
1917
Lorain and Fulton
Cleveland
Standing
1917
East 61st and Erie RR
Cleveland
Demolished
1923
2914 South Moreland
Cleveland
Standing
1923
2910 South Moreland
Cleveland
Standing
1923
2932 South Moreland
Cleveland
Standing

Return to List | Print View | Return to Landmarks Home Page

Cleveland City Directory

Cleveland Necrology file

The Golden Anniversary Book of the Cleveland Engineering Society, Cleveland, 1930.

William M. Pattison Supply Company Souvenir Book of Cleveland 1921


Click for more Information on Abbreviations.