William S. Lougee was born in Buckfield, Maine and received his education in Boston. In 1884, at the age of seventeen, he went to work for architect Tristam Griffin and remained in that office for six years before moving to Cleveland. He was associated with Adolphus Sprackling in 1892 as the Cleveland Architectural Company. He had his own office in Cleveland in 1893. In 1895 he was working with George Steffens. He was associated with architect John Eisenmann until 1900. From 1901 to 1905 he was assistant architect for the Board of Education. On April 4, 1905 during the Mayoral administration of Tom L. Johnson he was appointed deputy inspector of buildings and on March 4, 1907 he was made the chief building inspector. He resigned his City position at the end of 1909 when Johnson left office, and he resumed a private practice. During the administration of Newton D. Baker (1912-5), he supervised the construction of Cleveland City Hall. He later became City Architect and Building Commissioner under the administration of Mayor Ray T. Miller (1932-3) .
The following are abbreviations used throughout the database
AABN – American Architect and Builders News (1876 – 1909) bp – City of Cleveland Building Permits (1889 – present) cd – City Directories mps – Mary Peale Schofield files – Western Reserve Historical Society Inland – Inland Architect Intestate – Interstate Architect and Builder (1899 – 1902) nd – no date NRHP – National Register of Historic Places OAB – Ohio Architect and Builder (1903 – 1909) OAEB – Ohio Architect, Engineer and Builder (1910 – 1919) ohi – Ohio Historical Inventory form PD – Plain Dealer