Follow us on Twitter Follow Us on Facebook
 
 
  • Architect/Firm:  Levi Johnson
  • Buildings
  • Sources

Return to List | Print View | Return to Landmarks Home Page

Name: Levi Johnson

Birth/Established: 1786   Death/Dissolved: 1871

 


Biography:  
  Levi Johnson was a Carpenter - Builder who was born in Herkimer County, New York. He came to Cleveland in 1806. He built the first frame building in Cleveland for an office for Judge Walworth. His early years were spent building houses in Cleveland and Newburgh. He received a contract from the Cuyahoga County Commissioners to build the first simple frame Courthouse in 1812-3. During the War of 1812 he became a ship builder. He was also the first Cuyahoga County coroner. In 1831 he contracted with the federal government to build a lighthouse on Water (now West 9th) Street. He lived in a house at the corner of Water (West 9th Street) and Lake (Lakeside Avenue) streets. 

 

Return to List | Print View | Return to Landmarks Home Page

Photo Exists Indicates a Photograph is available for that Building
(1024 x 768 monitor resolution required to view photos)
Building Name Date Address Status
1813

Cleveland
Demolished
1831
West 9th Street
Cleveland
Demolished
1832
Public Square
Cleveland
Demolished
1836

Sandusky
Demolished
1840

Saginaw
Demolished
1842-3

Western Sister Island
Demolished
1847

Demolished
1853
West 6th Street
Cleveland
Standing
1858
mouth of the river.
Cleveland
Demolished

Return to List | Print View | Return to Landmarks Home Page

Cleveland: Past and Present - Its Representative Men

Rolik, Drew - Cleveland's Warehouse District: An Illuminated History - part 1


Click for more Information on Abbreviations.