Follow us on Twitter Follow Us on Facebook
 
 
  • Architect/Firm:  Charles Heard
  • Buildings
  • Sources

Return to List | Print View | Return to Landmarks Home Page

Name: Charles W Heard

Birth/Established: 1806   Death/Dissolved: August 29, 1876

 


Biography:  
  Charles W. Heard was born in Onondaga, New York. He settled in Painesville and learned the carpentry trade. He married Carolyn Goldsmith, daughter of Master Builder Jonathan Goldsmith in 1830. They moved to Cleveland in 1833, about the time the Ohio and Erie Canal opened and Cleveland experienced its first substantial population and economic growth. It soon passed Painesville in population and opportunity. The first city directory in Cleveland in 1837 lists Charles Heard as a carpenter and joiner. The 1845 directory listed him as a Master Builder. In 1846 and 1847 he was in partnership with carpenter Warham Warner. The 1850 City Directory shows him in the firm of Heard and Porter, architects and builders. That partnership lasted until 1864. He formed a partnership with his son-in-law Walter Blythe that lasted from 1866 to 1871. From 1871 to the end of his life in 1876 he was the principle in the firm of Heard and Sons, when his sons Lucas Allen and Charles W. Heard Jr. joined the firm. He was active in the community serving as a member of the Board of Education and the Board of Alderman.

He lived at 32 Euclid Street. His wife Caroline died on January 9, 1851. They had eight children; the youngest, Lucas Allen, was five when she died. By 1870 the census showed that his real estate was valued at $80,000 and that his seven adult children and two servants were living with him on Euclid Avenue. He died in 1876 leaving the unmarried children use of his home for seven years. 

 

Return to List | Print View | Return to Landmarks Home Page

Photo Exists Indicates a Photograph is available for that Building
(1024 x 768 monitor resolution required to view photos)
Building Name Date Address Status
1848-51
340 Euclid Avenue
Cleveland
Demolished
1849
2121 Euclid Avenue
Cleveland
Demolished
1849
512 West Superior Avenue
Cleveland
Demolished
1855
Superior & West 9th
Cleveland
Demolished
1857
Painesville, Ohio
Painesville
Standing
1858
3028 Prospect Avenue
Cleveland
Standing
1859-67
233 Superior Avenue
Cleveland
Demolished
1860
Fourth Street and School Salem, Ohio
Salem
Demolished
1863

Cleveland
Demolished
1864
610 Eagle Street
Cleveland
Demolished
1864

Cleveland
Demolished
1872
436 Casement
Painesville
Standing
1875
2025 East 4th Street
Cleveland
Demolished
1876

Cleveland
Demolished
1876

Philadelphia
Standing
nd
Rockport
Cleveland
Demolished
nd
Lake and West 9th Street
Cleveland
Demolished
nd
NE corner Ontario and Public Square
Cleveland
Demolished
nd

Cleveland
Demolished

Return to List | Print View | Return to Landmarks Home Page

"Recollections of Cleveland - Her Builders and Buildings" Magazine of Western History January 1888, v. 7 #3, p. 253 - 265

Hitchcock, Elizabeth G., -Charles W. Heard (1808-1876) Architect: His Buildings in Cleveland and Painesville- Historical Society Quarterly - Lake County, Ohio February 1967, v.9, #1


Click for more Information on Abbreviations.