Near West Design Review Case Report
DENISON ELDERLY HOUSING
Near West Case # NW 2009-008
|Address:||2000 Denison Avenue|
|Owner/Rep:||NRP Group, LLC|
|Description:||New construction of 61-unit elderly housing complex|
|Action Date:||April 22, 2009|
|Design approved as presented.|
|Action Date:||April 17, 2009|
|Action Type:||Plan Submission|
|Item went to the Planning Commission prior to receiving review by the local advisory committee - the Near West Design Review Committee. This is a reversal of the usual order for such projects. This action was deemed necessary by the Planning Director to permit the project's sponsor to meet the requirement of its lender for review by a public body in order to qualify for tax-credit financing. The deadline for such review was April 24, 2009. The Planning Commission moved approval of the design as presented with the understanding the sponsor meet with and respond to the neighborhood's design concerns. Specifically, the neighbors and Councilman Brian Cummins had concerns about:
1. Irregular height on the brick foundation.
2. Lack of consistency with the corner board color.
3. Concern with width of gables matching dormer width.
4. Lack of consistency between front and back of building.
5. Lack of architectural historical features (e.g., bargeboard, fish scaling, etc.)
The design now moves to the Near West Design Review Committee to undergo local design review.